Monday, October 09, 2006

Question MarkImagine this...
You are living your life day to day with a couple stressful issues at work, but nothing life threatening. Then you are offered a job in Los Angeles with more pay and an excellent opportunity for growth at an Online Broadcasting company (Based in NY and the wave of the future), from a previous co-worker, who appreciates your nack for Customer Service and your ability to work long hours to get the job done. Your dream has always been to move to Los Angeles and possibly work in the Entertainment industry, so you jump at the opportunity. You quit your job, your husband quits his job and you pack up and move to LA. You go into your new office and work with really nice people on the 23rd floor of the NBC Universal Building with your own closed door office and begin working with a couple of customers. Work starts off a little slow and you find yourself asking your manager again and again for more work (like you are used to). You enjoy your new life in LA on the weekends by visiting with friends from the area, family visits, going to the beach, visiting the local tourist traps and just hanging out at home. Your husband finds a good job selling websites in the local area and you begin to feel like this is where you plan to live for the rest of your life (finally). You are renting an apartment at a fairly high cost, because you want to live close to work, your check is a little bigger then it was in San Jose/Los Gatos and you enjoy seeing the stars in their territory (You lived in a very small one bedroom apartment in Los Gatos).

Everything moves along smoothly for the first couple of months and you begin to think that work is picking up, as you are given a couple more accounts and added responsibility.

Then out of the blue, you take your normal one hour lunch break on a typical Thursday afternoon (10/05/06), you come back into work and there is a voice mail and an Instant Message from your manager to give her a call when you return to your desk. You call her back...and the first words out of her mouth are..."I really hate to do this over the phone, but...".

You can imagine what happened next... BANG...Scared 1
You were laid off with only 2 weeks of severence pay, as the company decided not to ramp/expand their Los Angeles Sales Dept. and concentrate on business in the NY territory.
As you can probably imagine by now...this happened to me Crying 1!!! I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and I'm sure things will work out as they are meant too, but in the meantime I'm a bit embarassed and shocked, as I'm sure all of you would feel the same. So, if you know of any job openings in the Los Angeles area (primarily the San Fernando Valley) looking for someone in the High-tech and/or Entertainment industry, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to send you my resume. I'm willing to begin working as soon as possible.

I hope all of you are doing well and please keep in touch!


4 comments:

DK said...

woops..hit enter and it went away~ anyway, yes things always work out for the best in the end, it's the middle, the unknown that's so frightening!
Well, as a matter of fact, I have some news for you, too... wow, what are you doing? Are you pounding the pavement or enjoying a few days to really scout out the city?
Something good will happen for you, Cher~ this has always been your dream and I just know some awesome little miracle's going to happen. Ilke maybe you'll meet Kate Hudson and find out that you are the perfect person to be her personal assistant or something! :) I love ya, Cher~ All will be well!!!!! Hang in there and do the next right thing.

Anonymous said...

wow, i finally get some time to check out your site and dang girl that sucks. well, really it doesn't - this job finally got you where you want to be, now it's up to you to make things happen. you probably would have ended up working there and being tied to a desk or held back in the office without the actual opportunity to make your dreams come true. they've set you free, take advanage. btw: a friend of mine works at imaginary forces on sunset blvd in hollywood, let me know if you are interested and i'll see if she can hook something up. otherwise good luck, take care and embrace your latest opportunity (heck, seems like you could make a movie out of the last year of your life...)

nat

Cheri said...

Hey Nat, Just saw your post...I'll send you an email with my resume tomorrow. Seems like most of the jobs, I'm looking at, are on Sunset and it's close to my house. I am taking this opportunity to make my dreams come true and thanks so much for your kind words! I have received tons of emails and phone calls! And I truly appreciate the friends and family in my life :) I'll be in SJ in 2 weeks for a visit...if you are around...let's hook up!

Cheri said...

Hey DK, I meant to reply to your comment too...what's the news for me? If you don't want to post it, just send me an email. I can't wait to see you this weekend! Looks like I will probably be driving down to San Diego on Thursday instead of Friday. Hey, I've got the time and like I said (or meant to) life is all about friends and family!


Stop Global Warming

As Seen in Blogger & Podcaster